getting sick is terribly worrisome



Luke had his fair share of fever and flu and colds before, but getting sick for almost a week is something unusual and sressful.

It's his first to have fever of over 40, and I was almost in panic not knowing what to do but to call his pedia for advice (thanks for the celfone tech, and to his kind pedia who hasn't changed number since the last time we consulted with her some years ago). I tried to calm myself down as I give him sponge bath to lower his temp. When it lowered to 39 after 30 minutes, my panic level also lowered.

But it doesn't stop there. After a day of being cheerrful, he got feverish again, and a series of blood tests showed a lowering platelet count, a sign of dengue fever. To avert his condition before it gets really serious, he was admitted to the hospital for IV of ampicillin. Because of his hard and sticky cough that somehow contributes to his high fever, the doctor also suspected of acute bronchitis.

I'm telling you, staying at the hospital is totally uncomfortable and even risky (especially for a pregnant woman like me). Among other things, I feared that I'd get other diseases or illnesses from other in-patients. But what can I do? My son needs to stay there for proper medication and continued medical supervision.

It's his first to be hospitalized. And I'm afraid that he's getting traumatized with all these. Every time a nurse or a uniformed staff entered our room, he started crying for fear that they'll hurt him again with their needles. Even the simple act of getting his temp became a tedious and hard task.

Good thing we stayed in the hospital for only three nights. I think I'd go crazy longer than that. All of us got bored waiting for time to pass by, and Dadi got tired of doing errands amidst his busy class schedule.

Now, we're at home, and my son is busy sleeping (so I get to blog). Medications still continue until he gets completely recovered.

Get well soon, Luke! So we can play ... and write ... and watch Pooh! ;)


Laguna, Philippines
Bad days are over!

No comments: